Gather the Outcasts

Check out our web site www.gathertheoutcasts.com for upcoming events, audio messages, pictures of mission trips, and other contact information.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Renew Your Mind pt3

Dear beloved: The enemy of our souls wants to destroy us and take us away from the kingdom of God. He does this in many ways, but one of the most pervasive ways in the modern day is through the use of the psychotropic drugs. (please read Renew Your Mind pt2) It is interesting to note that the word soul in the Greek language is the word we translate psyche, our mind, heart, the immaterial and eternal part of our inner person. The related word psycho in the Greek language means to grow or to wax cold. That is certainly what happens when the enemy gets in and attacks our mind(soul), he tries to get our passion for God to wax cold. In Psalm 42:1 David admits he is very dry. He cries out "As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for Thee, O God. v2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; when shall I come and appear before God? v3 My tears have been my food day and night, While they say to me all day long, Where is your God?" v4 These things I remember, and I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go along with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of the Lord. With the voice of joy and thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival. And so we see that being dry, in despair, and shedding tears is part of the human condition; there are times in our life when we will all find ourself in that condition.

Just as demons of alcoholism feed off alcohol, and demons of gluttony feed off excess food consumption, so too demons of mental illness and disturbed minds feed off the psychotropic drugs. The demonic root of these drugs is driven by the spirit of sorcery (gr.pharmakeia), or witchcraft. It is driven by the desire of the enemy to control our minds; that is what witches and witchcraft do, they control others. The world's solution to our states of despair is to control our minds, so that we wax cold towards God. This was illustrated to me recently when after a deliverance session with a young lady who was very troubled in her mind, she was delivered of most all of the demons that were tormenting her, and eventually the spirit of pharmakeia was broken off her. She was in her right mind and receiving willingly the word of God and instruction for her life. But within a day some well meaning believers who had no idea of the warfare going on with the sorcery demons, came in and convinced her she needed the psychotropic drugs again for her continued well being. Within a day she was closed up, waxed cold, and not receiving in the way she had before. The sorcery demons got fed and were fired up again, just about all that was gained in the deliverance was quickly lost.

Notice David gives God's alternative to the psychotropic drugs in Psalm 42:5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me? Hope (wait for) thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of His countenance (presence). And again in v6 O my God, my soul is in despair within me; Therefore I remember Thee from the land of the Jordan, and the peaks of Hermon, from Mount Mizar. So David says, God, I am going to put my hope in You, wait for You, praise You for the help of Your presence, and remember You from the lowest valleys to the highest mountains. If you are stuggling with depression and an unstable mind, cry out to the Lord, He will hear your cry; He will lift your head. Read the Psalms out loud so your spirit and soul hear the words and receive them. Praise the Lord for the smallest victories and even the air that you breathe, the earth under your feet or under your bed if you are bedfast. Stretch your faith and believe that God has something better for you than to be in bondage to drugs. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 And may the God of peace sanctify you wholly: and I pray your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. May God bless you, in Christ, Jim www.gathertheoutcasts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment